Saturday, September 1, 2012

ARC Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Title: What's Left of Me
Author: Kat Zhang 
Number of Pages: 356
Expected publication: September 18th 2012 by HarperCollins 
Source: ARC paperback from publisher
Genre: Science Fiction > Dystopia
Reading Level: YA
Star Rating: ★★★
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…


For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


I was given a copy of the book back in June and was so happy once I got it in the mail. The cover is gorgeous and plays so well with the concept behind the story. Right from the start when I heard about What's Left of Me on goodreads I knew I wanted to have a arc to read for a review on my blog. I was so intrigued by the plot and characters within. Addie and Eve's story presented itself to be most fascinating to me. I love the idea of one body sharing two souls. The concept is so very unique and refreshing. Author Kat Zhang has truly blown me away with her impressive writing technique and ability to make the story come to life on paper. This debut novel has topped by Top Ten list of favorite books. Two Soul's sharing one body...the story of Addie and Eva given life to by such an amazing new author. 


Addie and Eva live in a world where humans are born with two soul's in one body. One is dominate and the other submissive. The submissive soul is supposed to fade away leaving the dominate one alone. Eva has always known that she is the lesser of the two but chooses not to leave her sister even though she should. This choice to live their lives together but never telling anyone else for this would be dangerous and go against all that is right. 

When Addie/Eva meet a girl from school and her brother they come to find out that they are not alone in the secret they both share. The choices they soon will come to make have both Addie and Eva now fighting for there lives. Both of the girls now must bond together tighter than ever before in a fight to remain whole. 


Oh. My. God! This book just totally rocked my socks off. I could not get enough! The world building in the book is so very flawless and rich with detail. Both Addie and Eva's characters are so genuine, and full of one life. Even though they share one body both girls have totally different character traits and identities. I loved Eva most because she always knew what she wanted and what she believed it even thought it was hard to. I found Addie to be much more of a worrier and questioning things she feared. 

Beyond Addie/Eva the secondary characters really helped to bring the whole book together and really enriched the plot. Thus giving the story such a unique balance of adventure and charm. I love every page, every word!  I can't wait to get my hands out the next installment to what will happen next! For anyone who may have mixed feeling about reading What's Left of Me once it comes out, DON"T! This book is too good not to be given the chance. 

Thank you to HarperCollins for my ARC and Kat Zhang for writing such a beautiful story. 


2 comments :

  1. I'm so excited for What's Left of Me, and I love the concept. I hope I'm just as wow'd by this as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I already had this on my wishlist but it has now jumped to the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian