Monday, March 5, 2012

{Book Review:} Scary School by Derek The Ghost

Title: Scary School 
Author: Derek The Ghost [ Derek Kent ]
Published:  June 21st 2011 by HarperCollins
Source: Given to read by Author (Hardcover)
Reading Level: Middle-Grade and Up
Star Rating: ★★★★
Add on Goodreads

You think your school's scary?

Get a load of these teachers: "Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire "Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess" Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie "Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus...
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the looseThe world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch.
And...
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost.  Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky.

First Impressions: I was e-mailed about a month ago by the author of the book Scary School, Derek Kent aka Derek the Ghost and was asked to read his new novel for review on my blog. Now I mostly stick to the young adult to adult books only because I find these type of books are what I enjoy the most when reading. I read over the book synopsis of Scary School and found it to be quite interesting and story seem to draw me in so I decided to give it a try. I am ever so glad that I did because Scary School really did turn out to be a fun and comical read. 

Review: The first thing I am going to say that I totally loved about the book was that while reading there are so many amazing Illustrations to go along with the story-line of the book which really made the charathers and the story come alive. In Scary School "Derek the Ghost" is telling the story in which he tells the reader about himself but mostly about many of the kids or creatures that walk the halls. You as the reader will get to learn about many different teachers and students who go to Scary School. And I mean "different". From a one fang'd Vampires to a T Rex who won't go anywhere without her blue dress on. Weird right? If you don't follow a rule you may be eaten, but don't worry you won't die. Mostly likely you'll just come back as something else like a dragon or another creature. Nothing is ever what it seems at this odd and twisted school but the kids at Scary School like it that way as do the teachers. I have a few favorite character's in the book I really enjoyed while reading that I found to be very funny or relatable to me in some ways. One was Petunia who is the purple girl on the cover of the book. She could make flowers grow and the way the Illustrator drew her was so beautiful. I like how her story was that she was made fun of by the other girls in the school but something happens to her to make her see that she indeed is special. The whole book was just made up of all of the monsters/humans (teachers and students) individual stories each with such a fun and unique pizzazz. A very funny book and the images to go along with the story made me laugh ever more! 

Final Thoughts: I am very glad I decided to give Scary School a go because I really did love it. I went outside my comfort zone and read a book that was written for a lot younger age group than I am in but truthfully nothing is wrong with reading a middle-grade novel when your an adult. I would highly recommend Scary School to my readers (or their children) and to anyone who may be a bit hesitant of reading a book below there age level. - The cover of the book and images in the book are stunning and very well done. Scott M. Fischer the illustrator did a wonderful job! The idea of the book being narrated by a ghost (who was also part of the story) was a excited and fun POV. A MUST read in 2012 for all ages! 


Purchase Links

3 comments :

  1. I have this on my review list! I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also received Scary School for review and loved it! I especially loved Penny Possum! She was the little engine that could :)

    Scary School review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian