Saturday, December 13, 2014

8 Reasons a NON-Reader should READ



Hey gang! Yesterday I volunteered at my local book fair. There were over 100+ thousand books! A book lovers dream come true, for sure. While I was checking out a woman around my age or maybe older at the register (she bought about 500 dollars in book 0_o) her daughter was complaining about wanting to go home, and that she couldn't understand why her Mother even liked to read. She said it was boring and a waste of time and money. While I know not everyone is a reader but this saddened me to see this teen show so much angst against her Mothers' love of books. So I decided to make a list of reasons why I feel a non-reader should read or at least try. Granted books are not for everyone, and I understand that but I'm hoping this list will help those non-readers think about picking a book and trying. 

If you know anyone who doesn't care for reading, friends, family, or co-workers share this list with them. ;) 


1. An escape from real life. I feel when I'm reading I can go into another world, another life, and escape my own for a while. Books are the PERFECT vacation you can take everyday and have a new one as often as you like. 


2. Lets your imagination go wild and grow. It's kind of like watching a movie in your head instead of being on a screen. You can picture the characters how you see them and see the story play out in your mind, the way you like. There are no bounds to what you can imagine. It's always a lot of fun. 

3. Reading helps improve your spelling, vocabulary and grammar. Honestly, I feel I have learned more from reading books than in HS English. Reading for fun for any age and grade  and it may help improve your performance in class. Also reading enhance visual and motor skills. 

4. There are so many genre's of books out there, and more so now than ever. I feel if a non-reader can find the RIGHT genre of book they more likely will be inclined to read and try new genres and sub-genre's. 

5. Reading opens up doors. You don't know how many new and awesome friends I've made since reading and blogging. Places like Goodreads, blogs, twitter and such is a fun way to meet others. Joining book clubs, and even talking and meeting authors are also exciting! Finding others who love to read and getting recommendations of what books are hot and not. There is such a GREAT reading community online for readers and writers alike.

6. BOOK BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS! Need I say more?! HAHA. 


7. Reading is a healthy addiction! While many teens and adult spend hours and hours watching TV, playing video games, and spending time online. Books are something you can feel good about being addicted too and proud of doing. 

8. Finally, and this is a big one. Reading books can inspire you to write one of your own. Whether you end up self-publishing or mange to find a publishing company would wants to publish your book, either way your story makes it way into the world for anyone to read. 



What DO you think of my reasons? Are there any you agree with me on? What reason(s) do YOU feel a non-reader should be reading? I'd love to know. :)



3 comments :

  1. Also, reading helps you gain friends, whether fictional or real. You get to meet other readers and book lovers who share the same interest as you. :)

    Nice post, Beckie! I wish more non-readers get to read this. :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Especially #7. Out of all the things I could be addicted to, books isn't so very bad!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with absolutely everything that you wrote, Beckie. I feel that society has become so advanced and involved with technology that we're forgetting the simple, ordinary pleasures of life such as reading. I need to refer some of my friends who don't read to this post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian