Wednesday, January 1, 2014

End of Year Book Survey – 2013 Edition! | Part One


Welcome to my End of the Year Book Survey for 2013! This wonderful event is hosted by Jamie at Perpetual Page Turners. She has been doing this fun event for the past 4 years and after seeing so many book bloggers participating I though I would too. It's a great way to share what books I read and loved in 2013. So without further ado...let's begin





1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

  • Contemporary YA – Crash Into You by Katie McGarry, Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky, A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook & Brendan Halpin
  • Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – The Program by Suzanne Young, Sever by Lauren DeStefano, Once We Were by Kat Zhang
  • Historical Fiction – In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters
  • Paranormal — With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent, Possess by Gretchen McNeil, The Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick, Unbreakable by Kami Garcia, Impostor by Susanne Winnacker, Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep (these are only a few, there are to many to name) 
  • Science Fiction — The Program by Suzanne Young, Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone , Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, Altered by Jennifer Rush  (again, there are to many to name)
  • Fantasy — Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, Splintered by A.G. Howard, Impostor by Jill Hathaway, Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood 
  • Adult Fiction — If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones and Bared to You by Sylvia Day
  • Graphic Novel — Smile by Raina Telgemeier and Beautiful Creatures: The Graphic Novel

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

I actually have two and both books are ones I had been putting of reading but after I did I could have slapped myself for not doing so soon. 

The Program by Suzanne Young & Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo



 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?


I would choose A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook & Brendan Halpin. I just adored this book so much! My Review says it all. There are so much greatness in this book and I think everyone should give it a chance.  


 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


The Body Finder Series


 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

I have a few to mention: A.G. Howard, Tamara Ireland Stone and Lisa Renee Jones


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Both If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones and 
Bared to You by Sylvia Day. The reason being is because I have never read erotic before. 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?


BEST BOOK EVER! > My Review


 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?


I don't often re-read books but if I did I would chose: With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent (heck, I would re-read the whole series)


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?



11. Most memorable character in 2013?


Way to many to name but here are a few: Jade from Real Mermaids series, Dominique aka "Dom" from Anatomy series and Isaiah and Rachel from Pushing The Limits series.


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?


Without a doubt, Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 


The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher > My Review


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

“When I’m with you, even my past seems like a bad dream,” he says. “I’ve sat on this hill a hundred times, and all I used to see were lights that represented places where I wasn’t wanted, where I never belonged. Now, when you aren’t with me, I look east and know one of those lights represents you, and I don’t feel alone anymore.” ―
Katie McGarry, Crash into You



“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.” 

― Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park



“I just want to break that song into pieces and love them all to death.” 

― Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park 


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: Under His Spell by Marie P. Croall (123)   
Longest: The Shining by Stephen King (659)


 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

The ending of The Iron Traitor. *sobs* 



18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

There are so many but here are my top three.
  • Isaiah and Beth from Crash Into You by Katie McGarry
  • Sloane and James from The Program by Suzanne Young
  • Gideon Cross and Eva Tramell from the Crossfire series

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins and The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa


20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:


Altered by Jennifer Rush. I can't remember who recommend the book to me earlier this year but I ended up really loving it. :)


21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

I guess mainly Science Fiction but also fantasy and paranormal romance


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?


Gideon Cross from the Crossfire series. Soooo swoon-worthy! 

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Once again, Splintered by A.G. Howard. I have so much mad love for this book.



24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

I feel like a broken record but... Splintered by A.G. Howard.  The world author A.G. Howard creates in this re-telling of Alice in Wonderland was beyond EPIC! Just blew my mind.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Disneylanders by Kate Abbott 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Nearly, no. Did, yes. Here are a few: The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa, Reflected in You by Sylvia Day and Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

Season of the Witch by Mariah Fredericks - I really enjoyed this one and I think others will to given the chance. :)



Well there you have it. Part one of my End of The Year Survey. Look out for part two coming soon where I will be taking about my Book Blogging/reading life as well as what's to come here at Bittersweet Enchantment. 

I would love to hear what you all thought of my survey. Leave a comment if you'd like. I look forward to hearing from you all. 




1 comment :

  1. CRASH INTO YOU, SCARLET, SHADOW AND BONE (well, #2!), all on my list! ONCE WE WERE, IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, ALTERED, and SPLINTERED are some of my 2013 regrets! 2014!!!! I didn't think I'd care for SHADOW AND BONE, either, but so good! I was surprised, too! I haven't read The Body Finder books, but I love Derting's Pledge series! Have you read it? OMG, Rainbow Rowell has TOO MANY good quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian