Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review: Skinny by Donna Cooner


Title: Skinny
Author: Donna Cooner
Number of Pages: 272
Published: October 1st 2012 by Point
Source: Library - Hardcover
Genre: Contemporary > Realistic Fiction
Reading Level: Young Adult


Find your voice.

Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies’s head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds, knows she’ll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it. 

But there is another voice: Ever’s singing voice, which is beautiful but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical—and partly to try and save her own life—Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over.

With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own.


Skinny by Donna Cooner Book Trailer


When I first heard about "Skinny" I knew it would be a book I would be reading almost as soon as it came out. The stories plot really grabbed my attention and the cover fits so well with what the book is about. I picked up a copy of the book up from my local library. I was so excited when I saw they had Skinny on their shelves. From the second picked up the book I began reading, so much so that I was kicked out of my library because it was about to close. Right away, from page one I was hooked. 

The story is about a 15 year old girl named Ever Davies and she weights 302 pounds. Like most girls her size Ever's life has not been an easy one. She is picked on daily at school and finds comfort in food to feel better about her life. Her shadowing conscience on her shoulder is named, "Skinny". A evil tinkerbell who won't go away and makes Ever's life more difficult. Skinny whispers in her ear things like, "Your fat, Huge! Nobody likes you", or "You'd be prettier if you weren't a fat hippo". Skinny never seems to leave and always has something to say. Ever lives with her Father, step mom and stepsister. She feels like the outcast within her family as well, a modern day Cinderella.  Although her Father has always been there for Ever and tries hard to support her. Her Mother died on cancer years ago and she contributes her excessive weight gain to this. She also has her best friend, Rat who would do anything for her. His support leads Ever to make a life changing choice...

Ever makes the difficult decision to have the weight loose surgery, a gastric bypass in hopes to loose weight, look better and to finally fit it. She no longer wants to be laughed at, forgotten by the boy she loves, and most of all show everyone the true, Ever Davies. 

Will Ever find herself? Will she ever finally get to be the girl she wants to be? But mostly will "Skinny" fade away and let Ever truly SHINE?! 

Find out what happens when Ever undergoes this risky surgery and what changes within her along the way. Ever's journey of self-discovery will totally blow the reader away. 



A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!

Skinny made me laugh, cry, and hurt for Ever. I felt such deep emotions while reading. I was truly touched by this book. I could not put it down! The author put such feeling and rare emotions into her book. As the reader I felt I could see and feel exacting what Ever was feeling. When her chair broke during a assembly, and Ever fell on the floor while on stage. I felt like I was right there next to her; experiencing  the same thing. Ever is such a strong and involved character. The hardships and struggles she had to endure were all so real and for me helped me feel like just because I myself is overweight that giving up is just not a option.  

I think for anyone who deals with weight issues, whether your an adult or a child/teen this book teaches you to always reach for your dreams no matter what may be in your way. It this case "Skinny" or her inner thoughts which plagued Ever throughout the book but in the end...Ever came out the winner. You are so much more that how much you weight.


The ending was beautiful. From page one until I turned to the final page this epic story will always have a place in my heart. 


 
Totally EPIC! One of the best books I have read. A MUST read!!



3 comments :

  1. What a nice blog you have! I love your review of Skinny and I know I will have to put it on my ever growing list of must reads. Here's my blog if your interested
    http://thebookknoll.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice review!! I have to admit when this first came out I dismissed it bc I don't really dig the idea of a teenager having weightloss surgery... but some of my fav. bloggers :) have given it great reviews so I'll definitely look for it at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This isn't the usual type of book that I like to read but I think I just may have to check this one out :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian