Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Book Review: Random by Charong Chow


Title: Random
Author: Charong Chow
Number of Pages: 226
Published:  Self-Published (2011)
Source: Author - Paperback
Genre: Contemporary 
Reading Level: YA 
Star Rating: ★★★
Goodreads | Purchase


After falling for the new guy at school, sixteen-year-old Tierney uncovers the truth surrounding the drug-fueled death of her best friend, Jeremy. Random, a contemporary expose of teenage life in Los Angeles, begins with a not-so-innocent truancy and builds - through complex, interwoven relationships - to a shock ending that sets Tierney up as a young female noir protagonist.


First Impressions: Random is not the type of book I would usually pick up and read. Although the blurb for the book did sound pretty interesting and while if I may be honest I did not really care for the book cover. After reading Random I still am wondering what the cover has to do with the story itself. With all that said I was really not excepting Random it be something I would like to read, but WOW, was I wrong! It turn out that I just loved everything about it, er, well maybe not the cover so much but the story was... well let me tell you....

My Review: Random has everything! From love, hate, heartbreak, strong emotions, and even death. Random is a story about a girl named Tierney. Tierney and her friends Jeremy and Maya meet Tom a new kid on the first day back to school. They all decide to cut school, even Tom and go back to Jeremy house to have a little fun. Their drug of choice? Everything. Like a lot of high school age kids drugs is way to relax or get away from their problems. This group of friends are no different. Little did they know that the drugs that they have been doing would soon lead to a whole new and devastating problem. Someone ends up in the hospital slowly dying in their group, but the big question is what really happen that night? And why? Random tells the story of a drug filled haze, coasting between, love, sadness, and a deep betrayal. With the shock of loosing their friend, Tierney find comfort from Tom. Tom has been nothing but kind and helps her and Emma though this heartbreak, but who REALLY is Tom? What happen to Jeremy that night? All of these question and more will soon relieve themselves while reading the book.

I really enjoyed the this book and I found myself needing to read more and more to unlock what really happen that random night. I as the reader felt as if I was being taken to for thrill ride at a amusement park, twists and turns, as the plot devolves around me. I was thrown from feeling confused about why they all choose to turn to drugs to feeling sad for their lose of Jeremy.  Then being upset about what really happen to being happy that Tierney was able to finally find some peace. Never has a book made me feel so tossed in my emotions while reading. This is so not a bad thing per say because I feel it gives the book such depth and gives the reader a sense of empathy for the character's. 

Author Charong Chow I feel did a superb job writing Random. Her style of writing was impeccable and the pace of the book was fast; always leading closer and closer to what really happen and how each character would find the strength and learn to survive. So, yes I would so recommend Random to my readers. I really loved it and was thinking about the story long after it was read. 

Final Thoughts: Keeping this part simple: Time and time again I find I learn something from a book like this and feel the need to pass on such a beautiful story. Random would definitely be one of those books. And although the cover was not to my liking the tale inside was well worth the read.



Based in California, Charong Chow is an internationally exhibited artist, author and mother of two. Her debut novel Random, was inspired by her best friend’s death. A food lover, she writes a recipe and lifestyle blog with her children, www.EatingWithHudson.com. She also writes for various publications when not caring for her family and menagerie of animals. Food with your children should be an adventure.Feed them from the 4 basic food groups. Yes organic, grown in your backyard, or local is even better. We love to eat and share recipes that work for us. Maybe your kids will love them too.

Find Charong Chow @ Blog | Facebook | Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian