Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: Possess by Gretchen McNeil

Title: Possess
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Published: August 23rd 2011 by Balzer + Bray
Hardcover, 379 pages
Source: own
Reading Level:  YA
Genre: Paranormal > Horror > Demons




Rule #1: Do not show fear.
Rule #2: Do not show pity.
Rule #3: Do not engage.
Rule #4: Do not let your guard down.
Rule #5: They lie.

Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her mom, by the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, it turns out the voices are demons – and Bridget has the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from.

Terrified to tell people about her new power, Bridget confides in a local priest who enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession. But just as she is starting to come to terms with her new power, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. Now Bridget must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone close to her winds up dead – or worse, the human vessel of a demon king.


Wow, where do I even begin with reviewing Posses?! I have desperately wanted to read this novel since 2011 but unfortunately my library does not carry it so I broke down recently and bought it. Why I took so long to do so I will never know. I was 110% BLOWN AWAY! Quite literally this book left me breathless or for a better choice of words, "I was MIND-FU*KED!" 

Creepy. Scary. Terrifying. These words don't ever begin to describe POSSES. From the first chapter to the very end I was on the edge of my seat, goosebumps and all. 

Posses is about a girl named Bridget. Bridget attends a catholic school with her friends Hector and Peter. There she works side my side with the head priest doing something no one else knows about. Something others would say she's insane if they knew. Bridget has a very rare ability that allows her to speak to and hear demons and with doing so she can also banish them back to hell. An Exorcism, if you will. As of late, there has been more and more demon possessions occurring. Bridget knows something is up and decides to find out what. She herself does now understand the reasoning behind her ability. The more she uncovers about the demons the more she come to find out who she really is and why she can do what she does. These forces of evils are now sending her a message. Something is definitely not right, and someone who she trusts is not who they appear to be. Bridget will need to find the answers before it's too late. 

For me, Possess was a terrifying mix of the movies, The Exorcism and Angel and Demons. Without a doubt one of the most scariest novels I have ever read. I felt like I was literally flying through the pages, flipping faster and faster. Almost possessed to find out what would happen next. I love ADORE a scary book or movie. Being scared out of my mind is such a huge rush, like riding a huge roller coaster with no seat belts. Possess not only made me feel this way but was SO much more. Bridget is a kick-ass heroine who know what she wants and will do anything to find the answers she seeks. I also loved seeing her shy and sweet side. Over the course of the novel, I really enjoyed seeing her grow not only into her ability but as a person. 

Ah, and of course there was some romance. Bridget falls in love with someone she never thought she even liked and a boy who knows her secrets.  Their romance was sweet and for me really gave the novel so much more depth. To find out whom this mysterious boy is you'll have to read the book or maybe you have and well...then you KNOW who I mean. Le Sigh! 

On a final note, Posses has easily become one of my favorite books of all time. It had everything I wanted and more. Why it took me SO LONG to buy it and read it I will never know but Dear God, I am so glad I did. 

If you're looking for a good down right scary book to read of like me procrastinated to read Possess. Don't walk, RUN out to buy this book! You will not be disappointed you did.

Totally EPIC! One of the best books I have read. A MUST read!!

4 comments :

  1. Ah, now I see why you recommended that I read Possess. Ten and 3:59 are other books I'm dying to read by Gretchen. Which I should be doing soon because I have one of those :p Can't wait to share my opinion :D And this was a great review. I'm looking forward to reading Possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of horror movies (I won't be able to go to sleep! Seriously!), but I adore horror novels! I might have to check Gretchen's novels! Possession has been on my to-read list forever and I kind of want to give it a try now! :)

    Christie @ Read by the Undead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christie,

      Thanks for stopping by! :) There are a few scary movies that would give me nightmares, The Grudge is one of them. I really think you'd like Posses. It was definitely epic!

      - Beckie

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian