Tuesday, November 1, 2011

{ Author Interview: } Psychological Thriller Author - John Podgursky


Hey friends! Today I would love to introduce to my readers a great new author, John Podgursky. He is the author of the book "The One Percenters."  John has agreed to do a interview with me to be shared here @Bittersweet Enchantment. But before I go ahead with that I am going to leave my readers with info about the book and John. Thanks for stopping by. 


Buy This Book:
| Amazon | B&N


Book Info: {Taken from Goodreads }

Natural selection has become unnatural. Having dealt with the vicious murder of his wife, Edward Caine takes his rightful place as a One-Percenter, eliminating those not fit for the human race. He must fight his instinct to use his role for revenge; he is after those who live on only because of money and medicine. 



The weak-gened are not fit to breed, and it's the job of Edward and his brethren to see that they don't. But can he finish the job before his own mind betrays him? He is an agent of the Earth. He is a One-Percenter. 





Biography:
John Podgursky lives in Brooklyn. He's spent the last 15 years traveling the U.S. of A., trying to make sense of it all. He's still confused, but sleeps well at night knowing that nobody else knows any better, and in the end we're just going to die anyway.





Welcome John! 
Thank you for agreeing to do this interview with me. I hope it will give a chance for my readers to learn more about your book and yourself. 



1. When did you first start writing The One Percenters? And did the idea for the book just come to you?

     I actually wrote it 10 years ago.  I didn't seriously try to publish it for several years afterward.  I studied anthropology in college, concentrating on evolution.  I'm always considering what makes humans tick, especially our base qualities, and what defines sanity and intelligence.  I like to look at people as primal beings, and one day the story just popped. 

2. How old where you when you first knew you wanted to be a writer? And what was your first thing you wrote?

     I won five dollars in first grade for writing a story about a magical zebra.  That was a pretty good day. 

3. Were any of your characters based off of someone you know or the names of the characters? 

     There is a minor character, Officer Catbalm, whose name is made up of the initials of people close to me. 

4. Was it at all difficult to write about a psychological thriller, where did your ideas come from?

     Fear is the most visceral emotion.  It's the most easily manipulated.  I also happen to like eerie, haunting things in this world, so dark writing keeps me interested.  It's the easiest genre for me to write.  I can't write about bunnies unless they're deranged.  

5. As you were writing The One Percenters, did you ever have writer's block or did you already somewhat know what the story-line would be before you put the words on paper?

     I had the skeleton of the story complete before I began.  It was a very easy story to write.  It never stopped flowing. 

6. What age groups do you reccomend for the readers of The One Percenters? 

     It's definitely not for anyone under 16, not only because of the violence and language, but because the theme is really for someone more world-weary.

7. I love the cover of your book, very unique. Who designed the cover and did you have any say in what you wanted it to look like?

     The cover is the creation of Italian artist Daniele Serra.  He does fantastic, eerie work.  I did have some input. 

8. What is your favorite book and genre? Do you have a favorite author, and he/she inspire you book in anyway?

     My favorite book is King's Night Shift, and as you might have guessed, I like psychological thrillers.  However, my favorite author is Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin & Hobbes.  It amazes me how he injects profundity into a "simple" medium.

9. What was the most difficult part about writing the book? Do you have anything you wish you could go back and change?

     I don't like writing filler and tying up loose ends.  If I had it to do again, I'd limit the profanity.  I was young when I wrote the book. 

10. Just for fun:  If you could be one superhero or villain from a movie or book, who would you be and why?

     I'd be the bad dude in Saw.  If you're gonna be a killer, at least have a "good" reason; don't just hack people up.  I like the morality act. 

11. Last but not least, Is there any final thoughts you would like to tell me readers?

     Next time you see somebody who needs help or maybe a kind word, offer your services.  It could be me that's in trouble.  And I'll do the same.  You never know in what awful place you might find yourself tomorrow.  Peace.


I hope everyone enjoyed this interview and will check out John's book - The One Percenters! 

2 comments :

  1. When I saw the title of the book, I immediately thought of the Occupy movement. But upon reading the synopsis, there is some correlation that can be made, especially with the themes of survival of the fittest vs. morality.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie... It's funny-- other people have noticed this coincidence too, and the Occupy movement has inadvertently helped my book. -- J. Pod

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian