Saturday, May 5, 2012

Book Review: Slide by Jill Hathaway


Title: Slide
Author: Jill Hathaway
Number of Pages: 250
Published:  March 27th 2012 by Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins
Source: Library
Genre: Urban Fantasy > Mystery Thriller
Reading Level: YA 
Star Rating: ★★★★★
Goodreads | Purchase

Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.
Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

 First Impressions: Let me first talk about this gorgeous cover. I must say at first glance I fell head over heals in love with it. My favorite color has always been purple and I love how the whole cover has such a beautiful purple hue, even her face. The word "SLIDE" on the cover looks like it is literally sliding on the cover making for a unique effect. After reading what the book was about I knew I wanted to read it as soon as possible. I was so happy when I found it was at my library. I read, no DEVOURED this book in one day!



My Review: Slide is a highly anticipated debut novel of 2012. This book in no way will disappoint the reader, with twists and turns throughout that will having you guessing who did what and why. Slide is a whole new kind of urban fantasy novel unlike anything out there. The main character "Vee" or Slyliva has a very unique gift or curse if you ask her. Vee was diagnosed with what is thought to be narcolepsy. She falls asleep or passes out randomly, but what really happens is she slides into another person's body while out. She has no control when she slides or into who. Most times the person she will slide into will have some kind of connection with Vee while she is awake. One day at school Vee finds out while accidently sliding into her sister that her sister's friend Amber and her are planning to play a mean joke on a girl named Sophie who used to be friends with them. After this cruelty, Sophie is depressed and crying wondering why someone would do something so mean. That night while Vee is star gazing something pokes her from within her pocket and she begins to feel woozy. Before she knows it Vee slides into Sophie's room. She does not who she has slide into but see that the person is wearing gloves and holding a long silver blade. Sophie lies on her bed sliced up and blood is everywhere. Now it is up to Vee to find out who killed Sophie and made it look like a suicide. 
This book is packed full of so much mystery and suspense. I never knew what would happen next or who she would Slide into to try to uncover who really killed Sophie. I was so engulfed in the story needing to know what would happen next I did not remember to eat lunch. The author's writing style was flawless and the pace of the story was lightning fast especially when you MUST know what will happen next. I love a book that will keep me guessing and end with a "I never saw that coming"! Wow, just WOW!! I would definitely say that Slide is one of the best novels I have read in a long time. Everything about this book is exceptional! 


Final Thoughts: If I could tell author Jill Hathaway one thing it would have to be "Slide rocked my socks off"! I was not expecting such an exhilarating story and one that I could read over and over with no lack of excitement. Vee was just awesome with a CAPITAL, V!! The ending was a "I did not see that coming" moment and I am still trying to pick my chin off the floor. I SO NEED the next book in this series, but while I wait I have the chance to tell each of you to go out NOW and buy or rent SLIDE. YOU will not be sorry you did. =D

1 comment :

  1. The first thing I want to say is thanks for the wonderful review. When I read the summary of Slide I thought this would be a great read. But after reading your review I knew that it was/would be a great read. My question is when she Slides into another person what does that person think/feel? Do they even know that she is there?

    Nancy @ The Avid Reader

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian