Thursday, December 1, 2011

{Book Review:} Changing My Wardrobe by Deb Hanrahan



Title: Changing My Wardrobe
Author: Deb Hanrahan
Number of Pages: 258
Published: May 26th 2011 by Philyra Publishing 
Source: Given to read from Author (paperback)
Star Rating:  ★★★★
Add on Goodreads: here
Incoming freshman, Lindsey Ames, wants to take Italian, and she wants to join the National Honor Society. She wants a new image, and she wants better clothes. She wants Avery to stop tormenting her, and she wants Marco to ask her out. She wants Jocelyn to go away, but she wants Grouper to be happy. She wants to save Teeny's reputation, but she doesn't want to lose everything. Will Lindsey find the courage to stand up to her enemies before it's too late? Changing My Wardrobe explores the ups and downs of life as a high school teen while addressing the issues of bullying, drug abuse, and violence. If you’re looking for a little teen drama and a good cry, this book is for you.


Okay, so let me first begin by saying that this is one of those books that you should never judge by the cover because if you do you will end up missing an amazing story. I was asked by the author to read and review Changing My Wardrobe and was sent a print copy of the book in the mail but was somewhat skeptical by the cover. No, it is not a bad cover choice just not something I would pick up off the book store shelf but I loved the synopsis of the book and read it. Let me tell you I am very happy I did. This book was such a diamond in the ruff and ever so fun to read. The story, character's and plot twist makes Changing My Wardrobe a very entertaining, fast paced, enjoyable book to read and own.


In the beginning of the book we meet the main character Lindsay as she gets ready to start High School. Unlike middle school Lindsay does not want to be her usual nerdy self so with the help of her best friend, Teeny she decides to start fresh and change her clothing to better suit her personality as well as finally have others notice her. Although Lindsey is afraid that someone she knew from middle school will too and once again she will be bullied. By who else but Avery. Avery will find anyway she can to make Lindsay feel bad and pick on her relentlessly just because she can. Later the reader will find out that Avery bullies both Lindsay and Teeny because of her own hidden messed up life. On the first day of school Lindsay sees a new boy she has never meet before and she acts shy towards him. Even with her new look how could she think that someone could like her being as hot as Marco is.  Little does she know Marco is crushing on Lindsay as well. Later Lindsay and her friends, and possible boyfriend, Marco try to work to find a way to get Avery to stop bulling them. Marco is now torn because Avery's boyfriend is his cousin Cal and Marco feels sorry for the life Cal has to deal with. In the end things get worst and the unthinkable happens....To find out what happens with all of there struggles you will need to read this book. I wont give anymore away but you will so be glad you picked up this book. 


As I did not mention all of the characters within the story of the book, each one plays a important roll throughout the book which makes for a wonderful read. I loved the relationship between Teeny and Lindsay. They would do anything for each other. There bond gave the book such a heartwarming appeal. Marco and Lindsay worked very well together and I loved to see there relationship bloom throughout the book. I also loved reading about how someone can stick up for themselves even after being bullied, no matter what the outcome because no one should be hurt the way the character's in the book where. I will say the end left in tears, and I would have never guess what happen would have, but honestly this part spoke to me because I was bullied all through High school and I believe this book will touch anyone who knows what it feels like to not be seen as yourself. Author, Deb Hanrahan has written a beautiful and heartbreaking novel but in a way that I feel can and will speak to the reader the book. Each word was so elegantly written with a purpose to inspire the reader and make you think. I will say before I end here soon - Anyone who wants to read a book about, friendship, love, hardships, and the path to finding a way to just be normal read Changing My Wardrobe. You will not be disappointed you did. Remember never judge a book by the cover, or you may miss something wonderful within. 


2 comments :

  1. Beckie,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm so glad you liked the story.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beckie,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm so glad you liked the story.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian