Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Review: Secrets: Diary of a Gusty Teen by Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein

Title: Secrets: Diary of a Gusty Teen
Author:  Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein
Hardcover, 144 pages
Published: February 10th 2015 by Sky Pony Press 
Genre: Middle-Grade
Source: via publisher
Purchase: Amazon


Following in the footsteps of The Truth, Secrets: Diary of a Gutsy Teen begins as the thirteen-year-old protagonist makes a move with her family to a new town. She has grown up a lot over the past year—and has made a list of everything that’s important to her now that she doesn’t want to forget when she gets older. But now, as she enters her early teen years, she begins to write down the secrets she wants to keep—and the ones she has no one to tell about. From new school experiences to a new baby in the family to a new crush, this new teen finally feels empowered on making her own decisions with confidence and keeping those secrets she holds dearest for herself.


In a positive and supportive diary-entry format, Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein encourages tween and early teen girls to carry the most precious parts of themselves into adulthood. A great book for mothers and daughters to read together, Secrets is aimed to improve communication, understanding, and self-esteem for young girls as they enter the rocky road of teenager-dom.
Here's my review for The Truth: Diary of a Gusty Tween - book #1



"The Girl" is back again, with even more challenges to face, boys to crush on and simply trying to learn what it means to be a teenager. With a new baby sister on the way, a new school, and dealing with missing old friends while trying to make new ones, the girl is even more confused than ever. As if being a tween wasn't hard enough!

Like the first book, the story is being told in the form of a diary. Weekly entries all about what it's like to teenage girl. Transitioning from kid to teen is never easy, and for the girl is harder than some. A new baby sister is coming soon and she is not happy about being the older child. Along with moving to a new town and starting a new school, the girl is more stressed out than ever before. If that wasn't enough, life is about to thrown her a curve ball when her body starts changing and growing. 

Along with all of these new hardships, the girl is having fun too. She's making new friends, trying new things, but more so finding out who she really wants to be. 


There are so many amazing things I loved about this book. 
  • How relatable is the story was. I really feel like the book "diary" was in fact written by a teenage girl and not by an adult, which is great because teens who read it will get a better sense of the emotions and maturity of the girl. Everything she went through was things most teens have to deal and struggle with while experiencing this time in their lives. 
  • The girl's personally has really changed since the first book. She is more outgoing, funny and even more so emotionally. At times, I was getting annoyed by her thinking and how she felt about things, but then I thought back to when I was her age and begin to understand why she acted the way she did. Being a teen is downright difficult at time and I loved the way she handled the challenges she faced. The girl's personally while different than when she was younger really made this book quite remarkable. 
  • Being written in a diary format is probably by favorite part simply because I could see how throughout the year, in each entry how her life changed. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. She grew up so much not only physically and mentally but emotionally as well. Each time she wrote in her dairy there was always something new and exciting to read about. 
  • Adults will love it too! I'm in my 30's and I loved reading it. I won't lie, some parts were kind of childish, but that's what made it such a fun read for me. Being able to remember what it was like when I was young was exciting. I remember thinking "Oh yeah, I remember what that felt like". Yes, this book was primarily written to speak to teens but I think adults will love it too. Reading with your children would be even more fun!

I would like to commend, author Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein for writing such a relatable, imaginative, and fun story in which teens everywhere I know will love. I highly recommend Diary of a Gusty Teen (and Tween) to all of my readers and to confused girls everywhere (hehe). This book is one not to miss! 


 Totally Awesome! I loved it, would read again.

3 comments :

  1. Thank you, Becky. What you said about Secrets, is exactly what was on my mind as I wrote it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so very welcome, Barbara! :) I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this series, but it sounds great! I love reading "diary" books. I don't know why, but it's one of my things. Maybe I'll go try and find the first book soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian