Thursday, August 29, 2013

Special Guest: Book Review: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Hi everyone! I have some awesome news! I have a new guest reviewer here at Bittersweet Enchantment. Her name is Hillary and she is awesome! (hehe) I really think you guys will enjoy her reviews. They are very well thought out and beautifully written.  


WELCOME Hillary!

Title: The Madman's Daughter
Series: The Madman's Daughter #1
Author: Megan Shepherd
Published: January 29th 2013 by Balzer + Bray
Hardcover, 432 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction > Thriller
Reading Level: Young Adult



Sixteen year old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father’s gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work in a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.
Accompanied by her father’s handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father’s madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island’s inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father’s dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it’s too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father’s genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H.G. Wells’s classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman’s Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we’ll do anything to know and the truths we’ll go to any lengths to protect.
Purchase Amazon | B&N | IndieBound | The Book Depository



I’ve procrastinated writing this review for almost three whole days only because I had to process what my exact thoughts were about this book. And guess what? I still don’t have a clear idea of what I think. The book just left me speechless (in a good way).
I got this book a week ago in the mail, the day it literally was released in stores and the day of my mom’s birthday. I was waiting for this book for a few days because I’d been chosen by the girls (Aubrey & Margot) at Epic Reads during #TeaTime. I knew I wanted to win the book, but I didn’t know why. I’ve never read a historical fiction book before, or maybe I did but it must have been during a time at school, although this book was very different. If anything, this book convinced me it was more YA fiction than historical. And that’s what really caught my attention.
Now for the book, there were times I found it hard to relate a lot with Juliet but that doesn’t mean I DIDN’T relate to her because I very much did. She’s vulnerable, insistent, stubborn, and very intuitive. There are times when I find myself being all of those characteristics. And also the two hotties, Montgomery and Edward, I didn’t know who to like the most. Though I have to say, if you’ve read the book already the ending totally killed my feelings for Montgomery. I hope he redeems himself in the next book because I’m finding it hard to forgive him at all currently. I also hope Edward comes back in the next book or I’m going to be totally heart broken. I don’t even mind that he’s different from all of the characters. I think he was pretty noble (even if there was a dark side to him).
I also am so relieved the madman Dr. Moreau is no more because I was very appalled at all the things he’d been doing on his island. Unless someone out there thinks he might have made it out alive and will make another appearance in the next book? I really hope he doesn’t. Montgomery is kind of the next Dr. Moreau anyways; at least that’s what I think. I know there’s something coming in the next book but it’s really hard to decipher what it is. And that is why I CAN’T wait for the next book to be released! But wow! It’s going to take a whole year!
Thank you Epic Reads for gifting me this amazing book! It was something new and interesting and I could not take my mind off its plot for days. Even after I finished reading this book my mind would stray at night (before drifting off to the dream world) at everything that happened in the book. It was that good. So if you haven’t read it yet, well I think you should. Why not give Megan Shepherd, who is also first time author with The Madman’s Daughter, a chance? I think you’ll find this book very intriguing. And maybe even a little disturbing, but once you move past that you’ll actually stay awake in the early hours of morning, reading on until your eyes can’t stay open anymore.

 Totally Awesome! I loved it, would read again.

Review written by Hillary

Special Guest: Book Reviewer:
Hillary

Find Hillary @
Goodreads | Twitter

Hillary currently lives in Fontana, California and sometimes wishes she lived in a rainier place. When out of her world of fiction and music, college homework becomes part of her focus and so does worrying about exams. She still manages to find plenty of time to read YA books and hopes to have a room full of books like some authors are fortunate to have. Hillary is currently working toward earning a degree in English, but in the meantime she is content to help a very kind book blogger known as Beckie from Bittersweet Enchantment. Hillary hopes to become a well-known author one day, but currently writes small stories whenever she has time.

Thank you Hillary for such an amazing review. I agree, this book totally rocked! 

Show some love for Hillary? Leave a comment. :)

3 comments :

  1. Awesome blog, Beckie! New follower http://minadecaro.blogspot.com Mina's Bookshelf...hope you'll follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beckie for letting me be you're guest blogger (and for calling me awesome). I can't wait to do more reviews for you and hopefully you like them all (but even if you don't I'll be happy you told me the truth) :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian