Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: The Possession of Cassie Quinn by Kathryn Knutson

Title: The Possession of Cassie Quinn
Author: Kathryn Knutson 
Number of Pages: 200
Published: June 1st 2012 by North Star Press of St. Cloud, Inc
Source: Author (paperback)
Genre: Paranormal Romance > Horror
Reading Level: YA
Star Rating: ★★★
A long, dark driveway towards an old farmhouse. A new stepsister with a nasty streak. A little sister who runs off. Something sinister lurking in the woods. Cassie Quinn's new home comes with . . . complications. Cassie never believed in ghosts before. But now she is receiving strange messages, telling her to stay out of the woods. Are the messages just a ploy by her stepsister? Or are they warning her of an evil that stalks the shadows of the woods beyond her home?



I am slowing becomes a huge supernatural horror fan. The Possession of Cassie Quinn just reminds me of why I fell in love with this type of book. Honestly this book just totally freaked me out and made me have goosebumps most of the way through. So if your like me and like a good scare than I would definitely read this one but be sure to keep one eye open when you sleep. I know I did. 

As the book begins we learn that Cassie's Mother has just gotten remarried to a man named Dave and is now stuck with a new step-sister, Ashleigh. Cassie and her little sister, Andie are forced to move away and live in a large house in the country with her new family. Cassie just wants to be done with the move and carry on with her now fractured life the best she can. Cassie begins having frightening and confusing dreams about something that happen in the house years ago. She'll find out that the house holds many secrets, ones too dark to be told. So when things become even weirder for her upon moving it she is all but happy.  In her bedroom she receive terrifying messages that is from beyond the grave. LEAVE! Someone or "something" does not want Cassie and her family to live there. With no one to turn to she begins to make friends with the local kids and discovers they are the key to finding out what really happen and what she can do to end this. But finding the truth may end up killing her or..... worse! 

No spoilers there because I don't want to give away any of the good scary parts. I must say I was very surprised but how amazing the story was. I love a good scare but this just has me looking over my shoulder for a week after. The Author Kathryn Knutson really did a excellent job at making the me feel like I was right there with Cassie while the events were taking place around her. Cassie is a strong female protagonist and reading from her POV was much more thrilling than it would have been from a 3rd person POV. The book was short read but all the more reason to want to reach the end. The last few pages I found to scare me the most and was definitely a conclusion I was not suspecting. 

The one and only thing that I did not care for was the pace of the book. I found myself stopping and coming back a lot. While the author's writing was very edgy and predominant it got a little choppy at times during the book. Other than that I would say I truly enjoyed the book and would love to read the next installment.

The Possession of Cassie Quinn is a beautifully hunting tale. A thrilling ride from start to finish. A MUST read for all supernatural/horror fans. This book left me with the chills long after the last page.



Find Kathryn @ Website | Facebook | Goodreads

I am so excited to have my first book published with North Star Press!  I have been writing stories since I was five years old and it has always been my dream to be an author.  I love to write for children and teens.  I have two boys who keep me very busy, but somehow I find the time to write.  I hope to meet you at one my events (check out the Events page) or you can follow me on Facebook or email me at author@kathrynknutson.com.

If you live in the St. Cloud area and you are a kid who loves to write, consider joining the Teen/Tween Creative Writing Club.  It is a club I started and it is offered through St. Cloud Community Education.  

Thank you for reading! ; )

2 comments :

  1. Beckie..the cover is awesome and just screams creepy. So glad to hear you are enjoying this genre, it is one of my favorites. Despite the pace and choppy writing this does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about possession. I have been totally creeped out by some of the books I've read and movies I've watched. If you're not careful, you'll get hooked on this genre! It is scary good and this book sounds super creepy! Thanks for a new book to read and a new author to follow.

    laura thomas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian