Friday, May 29, 2015

Review: The Witch’s Daughter by Ron D. Voigts

Disclaimer:  Author Ron D. Voigts is my Dad. With that said I want to make sure that my readers understand that this doesn't reflect on my thoughts and feelings about his novel. It's only fair to be honest with each review I write and to no show favoritism with any author. 


Title: The Witch’s Daughter
Series: Cavendish Brown Mystery #1
Author: Ron D. Voigts
Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Publisher: Champagne Book Group
Number of pages: 219
Word Count: 72K
Date of Publication:  March 2, 2015
ISBN:  978-1-77155-176-2
ASIN: B00U0W28LC


Investigative reporter and recent widower, Cavendish Brown, is unemployed and floundering. Coerced into returning to his childhood home by the town's eccentric matriarch, Cavendish finds himself involved in murder, deceit, and a not-so-subtle attempt at matchmaking.
Joined by Jane, a disturbed psychic, and Alexandra, a young Goth woman with uncanny abilities, they follow leads into the hills of West Virginia to catch the killer. A sheriff who shoots first and asks questions later makes solving the case difficult for the trio. Adding further complications is an ex-girlfriend with a mob hitman on her trail who seeks Cavendish’s help.
Immersed in a never-ending spiral of clues and secrets, he must unlock the darkness that surrounds the enigmatic Jane, stay ahead of the law, and come to terms with his own grief.

Purchase at AmazonBNKoboChampagne Books


A really good mystery is sometimes hard to find especially one with that will leave you trying to solve who the killer is up to the very end.  Mysteries/thrillers are one of my favorite types of books whether in a YA or adult setting. I often find myself figuring out who the killer is midway through the book as some authors make it too easy to use the clues given to know who did what to whom. So I was pleasantly surprised when The Witches Daughter had me guessing until the very last chapter and even then I was shocked to find out the killer really was and why.


The Witch's Daughter is both mystery and paranormal. The story is set in the small town of Maiden Falls, WV legended to be named after an Indian Princess who leaped to her death from the falls. An out of work, recently widowed troubled man named Cavendish Brown is made an offer he can't refuse. Risking jail time Cavendish is offered by a wealthy old woman named Marbella who lives in his hometown to come back and work for the local paper in hopes to help restore it and of course keep him out of trouble. Reluctantly agreeing Cavendish moves back to Maiden Falls only to find the failing town paper is the least of his problems. Something not right is afoot and murder is its name. 


A young and seriously disturbed girl comes into the picture named Jane. Jane has the ability of Psychometry which means she can touch any object and see the past events of the person that last touched the item. With a turn of events, Cavendish meets Jane and discovers her unique ability. With the help of Jane and a mysterious gothic girl with abilities of her own named Alexandra, who happens to be the Marbella's daughter, they start to uncover the ill happening around town. The more of the mystery they uncover the more they find themselves fearing for their lives. Will Cavendish, Jane, and Alex be able to uncover who the killer is in time or will they be the next ones to perish? Read the book and find out!


There are so many amazing things that I loved about this book. There was never a dull moment, I was always left guessing. At some parts of the book, the author would lead me in totally different direction to try and throw me off course which I never saw coming. There was even a part in the book you will read and think nothing of it but later realize that this happens to be a "KEY" part in the story which makes sense after you finish reading. All of the characters were well written and developed as well as they all played a key part in the story to uncover the mystery. The only thing I that keep me from giving the book a solid 5 stars was a few of the chapters read slow. A few times I had a bit of trouble getting back into the storyline but other than that I absolutely love The Witch's Daughter. Author Ron D. Voigts KNOWS how to write a nail-biting, edge of your seat mystery. If you're looking for a fantastic "light on the paranormal" adult thriller then this book is perfect for you! 

 Totally Awesome! I loved it, would read again.

2 comments :

  1. I really like mystery/thrillers too, Beckie. I'll take your word on it that I'd like this one. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laura. I am glad you liked my review. It really is an awesome mystery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it. :) Feel free to leave a comment below, I love reading them and I always try to visit everyone back. *MUAH*

LinkWithin



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Looking for Something?

Blog Layout Credits

Design: Rachel Silberman
Coding: Klodian